Monday, February 3, 2014

Hello Everyone,

Today is Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Welcome to Writing for College.  Congratulations!  This is your last semester of High School English!  Unfortunately, I am at a conference in Albany today and tomorrow.  I had planned to meet you yesterday; however, Mother Nature thought differently. 

I will get you all set up on our class blog and review our syllabus with you when I come back on Thursday.  For now, please complete the following assignment:

Assignment:

Write a letter to me, Ms. Miller about you so that I can get to know you.  Express yourself honestly.  Please print out and hand in. 

The letter should be about a page, give or take.  (can, of course be more if you’d like)

Due at the end of the period.  (I will write one to you, as well.)

 Questions to Get You Thinking…and Writing

1.      Who are you? What’s your name?
2.      What defines you as a student? What defines you as a person?
3.      As a teacher, what do I need to know about you in order to help you succeed academically this semester?
4.      As a mentor, what do I need to know about you in order to help you achieve your personal goals this semester?
5.      What interests or hobbies do you consider your passion? What is it you about this interest or hobby that thrills you?
6.      What is your favorite book and what is it about this book that makes it your favorite? Has any book changed your life in some way? Tell me about it.
7.      What comes easily to you with regards to writing? What presents a challenge for you?
8.      What is your philosophy on life?
9.      What ideas, people, places, activities, cultures, etc. have you wanted to learn more about but haven’t had the opportunity?
10.  Who is your favorite person in the entire world?
11.  Who would you most like to meet?
12.  What is one thing that concerns you?
13.  What makes you proud or what are you proud of?
14.  Tell me about your short term goals (within the next year). What about your long term goals (within the next 5-10 years)?
15.  What colleges are you applying to? Do you have a first choice? What might you major in?
16.  Quirky Fact: What is one fact about you that makes you unique? For instance, do you have an obsession with watching Project Runway? Or, maybe you can bend all of your fingers backwards? What about a hidden talent? Any collector’s items that you’ve accumulated over the years?

p.s.  If anyone would like to get in touch with me today or tomorrow, my email address is:
tmiller@smithtown.k12.ny.us



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.