WFC – Ms. Miller
Good Morning Musees,
Today we will discuss some more characteristics of Cause and Effect and you will work on a group activity that puts you in "Cause and Effect" mode. This is due today. :)
Please go to the assignment drive.
Blog Post Due Friday:
Have fun!
The Science of Shopping
Today we will discuss some more characteristics of Cause and Effect and you will work on a group activity that puts you in "Cause and Effect" mode. This is due today. :)
Please go to the assignment drive.
Please go to the assignment drive.
Every day spaces manipulate our behaviors to gain a certain, desired effect. Shopping is no different; in fact, this is where major department and specialty stores can entice you to buy without even advertising their merchandise. Read SECTION 1 of the following article from The New Yorker, "The Science of Shopping," and respond to the ideas presented. How much of this do you believe to be true? How does it make you feel to know that you are manipulated in this way or that there is the intent to do so? Respond in a thoughtful blog post and discuss a store you've been to that either supports or refutes the article's content. p.s. Think about cause and effect!
- Brainstorm your ideas for cause and effect.
- Write a simple cause and effect paragraph.
- It must contain all elements of “cause and effect”
- Use the checklist on the “cause and effect” packet you received.
- You may use one of the prompts given or make up your own.
- Have one person peer edit your paragraph to make sure you followed the checklist and check for grammar and sentence structure.
- Due Friday.

In the article, "The Science of Shopping," the author talks about the methods and procedures stores use to entice their consumers. I believe that some of these techniques do work such as the idea of the "Decompression Zone." This idea that putting this valuable at the front of a store is not a good idea becasue consumers are still getting adjusted to the sotre. This occurs in stores like Macy's. when a consumer first walks in, there are no high quality items on the racks. Higher quality clothing like Polo and La Coste are near the back. obviously right now, with the economy in a bad state, consumer hours spent shopping will go down, which is why stores must be ready to adapt and satify their consumers' needs. Manipulation is not really a good word to use for their techniques. As a business, it is your job to make people interested in your products. most consumers are unaware of the tactics used by these companies.
ReplyDeleteThe article, “Science of Shopping” from The New Yorker intrigued me as I kept reading. I believe that most of this information is accurate. I thought to myself while reading the article if I actually turn to the right when entering a store, and to my surprise I believe I do. I think that the “decompression zone” is smart if a store is located on a busy street. Many people tend to walk right pass the first section of merchandise because they are adjusting to a new walking pace and light. However, as a frequent shopper I don’t feel manipulated by business owners. I feel as though the consumer holds the upper hand when shopping. Although pretty display areas and lights may draw you into a store, it’s solely up to the shopper to make a purchase. If you’re a smart shopper, keep price rage and what you need in mind, then you won’t be fooled by the pull a store may have.
ReplyDeleteIn "The Science of Shopping", the author describes techniques used by marketers to try and lure customers into buying their product. For example, food places are on the left side and clothing places are on the right. This is because shoppers are more likely to go out of their way to satisfy their hunger than to buy clothing that they saw in the window. I think this is true and it is a good marketing strategy so I believe that the manipulative nature is just smart strategy. I do believe that these techniques work. One that I never realized but now understand is the decompression zone. I never thought about it, but generally, there is nothing of value on the racks when you immediately walk into the store. I never thought about it, but I don't pay attention for the first few seconds when I enter a store so this is a theory that I strongly agree with. Most customers have no idea they are being manipulated but the methods used by marketers do a great job of getting people to buy.
ReplyDeleteThe ideas presented in "The Science of Shopping were very interesting and weird. I thought the idea that stores watch film of their customers to determine their walking pattern to know where they typically go to obtain or look at merchandise to be very weird and time consuming to just put your store and products at the best location. I feel that customers do follow the patterns described in the article, but I find it interesting that this information was sought out by stores. Large stores usually have automatic enter doors placed to the right of the first section of their store so its not surprising that customers tend to turn right when they enter a store. I don't mind being manipulated like that because the businesses are just trying to do the best for their company and gain the most profit. Whenever I go to Wal-Mart, I know I follow the patterns presented in this article. I always turn right when I enter a Wal-Mart and the placement of items can follow the same idea as the placement of stores on a block. Theirs alot of thought that goes into the placement of items in a large departmet store.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the article, “The Science of Shopping”, it made me realize that the habits of many customers or people roaming the streets can affect the profit of a store. Because transportation varies the speed in which one is traveling can cause a customer to pass or not even notice a store, therefore causes that store to lose a purchase from that person. There are many reasons and effects to why stores are not noticed. For a store to be seen make sure your window display is canted, preferably to both sides but especially to the left. Also, make sure that your store is not located next to a bank because many aren’t interested in looking into a bank and past by it quickly that they miss your store. One main thing that Paco had performed was creating films with cameras so that he can study the downshifting and refocusing of a customer as they approach a store. I believe that some of this is true. In my own opinion, if I was shopping and saw a capturing window display I would want to go inside that store, however I do not agree with the speed of the shoppers as much as Paco does in the article. If you miss the store it is not because you were walking fast, yet I believe it is because you are not interested in shopping their or you weren’t paying attention. In some way it feels like it’s not fair to know that you are being manipulated by a store. For example, one store I have been to that had a window display that drew me in was the Puppy store in the mall. Its display was easy to see from the right and the left side as well as captivating to the shoppers.
ReplyDeleteThis article discusses that as a shopper we tend to do certain things, like "downshift" when we walk and stay to the right more often then not. I believe that as people, naturally we do these things but it can easily be overridden. generally people do slow down when they are walking past a potential store they might want to buy things from, that is very believeable. I can also agree that people tend to stay to the right when they walk, because that is what they do when they are driving, but the only place i have seen the manipulation of the shopper was in an airport. The airport has the food on your right when you get off and your left when you board. People are easily more motivated to go further for food than a key-chain which is why it can be placed further away. Even though I have seen this manipulation in the airport I do not believe that most stores do this. In stores such as footlocker I immediately go to the shoes that are mostly right, but that is because the running shoes are toward the left and I do not buy running shoes. In the apple store I tend to go toward ther left because I am more interested in the labtops over the Iphones. In other stores I may tend to go to the right more often than not but i do not believe that is because of how the store is setup. Also the attempted manipulation does not bother me because either way, whether I go to the left or the right, if i enetered that store for a product and I leave satisfied I than do not care. I believe that over time a persons brain has been programmed to stay to the right, maily because of driving habbits. I also believe that there might be some truth to these theories but a shopper usually explores the whole store before buying something, which means whether they go to the left and the right, the will most likely make a complete circle.
ReplyDeleteDue to the competitive nature of the current economy, retailers are desperate to learn how shoppers behave in their stores. Through a decade and a half of extensive research, Paco Underhill has discovered many quirks of shoppers and has aided many high-profile businesses by sharing his findings with them. I found this article to be very fascinating. In particular, the first paragraph in which it is mentioned that "human beings walk the way they drive" and the effects of that behavior is very interesting. One provided effect of this behavior is that stores angle their displays to the left to ensure that the most customers as possible see them. I have personally seen this example countless times in the mall. Now that I think about it, I'd be hard pressed to think of a store that doesn't employ this tactic. I also found it fascinating how stores loathe to be located next to 'empty windows' like banks. The fact that this is due to humans impulsively 'shifting gears' like a car when they see a blank store really inspires thought. According to the article, humans may walk right past a store, even if that store would usually intrigue them, that is next to a bank merely because they were moving too fast and, thus, diminished their peripheral vision. Because of these types of factors, Paco Underhill believes that the location of a store and even the locations of items within that store is crucial to a businesses success. In my opinion, I think this entire article is very true. I also believe that most businesses take all of these complex things into consideration when they choose the location of both their store and the items within it. How do I feel about being manipulated? Personally, I don't feel like there is anything immoral or shady about what these businesses are doing. They are merely trying to get the attention of their potential customers. They are not forcing anyone to buy anything, but are simply helping people get a better look at what they have to offer. In conclusion, as Paco Underhill has pointed out, retailers put a strong emphasis on 'location' due to the observed mannerisms of everyday shoppers.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping", is about the ways to grab the attention of a shopper, and how they are manipulated into purchasing certain items. The first method spoken about is the Decompression Zone. This is the idea that were the products are placed in the zone, depends on sales. The items placed toward the back edge of the zone are more likely to be sold. Therefore, high prices, better quaility items are usually positioned to the back edge of the zone. Although this might seem like manipulation, businesses use tactics such as the Decompression Zone to grab the customers attention, and to make them more interested in their product. Determining buying patterns of the customer can benefit the business in many ways, and can help their comany to flourish. I do not see this as manipulation, but as well thought out tactics that the customers may be drawn into.
ReplyDeleteThe article The New Yorker, “The Science of Shopping” is basically portraying the way the shopping environment comes off as. Paco Underhill explains that the way specific people shop can affect the store greatly. Shoppers tend to walk really fast and not pay too much attention and this could pass up a great opportunity to get a sale in a certain store; all because they walked right by. When customers are “speeding” in the mall it can cause the stores they are passing to make less money. Paco says that if you own a store to never put it next to a bank. Reason being, a bank isn’t interesting. The shopper will walk right past quickly. Your store may be next to the bank, but by the time the shopper slowed down they will already be passed your store or business. He sets up cameras in various different stores to show the store the different types of customers. Nowadays stores tend to make more money, but the amount of time people spend in the mall is decreasing. 60 minutes in the mall isn’t a long time compared to 72 minutes in 1992. After reading this article, I sort of agreed with Paco. It seems as if everybody is always in a rush. Another thing I agreed with is the “Decompression Zone.” Putting something valuable and something that catches your eye in the display window can immediately attract customers. They will see it and want to know what other items you have in the store. Although, I don’t think we are manipulated by businesses or stores in the mall, because nothing is really verbal. If we see something and we like it, we make our own decision to walk into the store and learn more. Overall, I do agree with Paco and I think his techniques and skills with figuring everything out about shoppers and customers are very precise.
ReplyDeleteIn the article, "The Science of Shopping", the author discusses the behaviors of modern americans in retail stores. The author claims to know how an indivdual will behave, and what they will do. While the author provides more than enough evidence to support his claim, I disagree. Although he may consider this a science, I think it is more of a prediction. One will never know how an individual will behave. It is near impossible to manipulate an individuals thoughts and actions. Although the results and his techniques positively correlate, that doesn't mean that there is causation. In business, the goal is to sell the product as effieciently as possible. Although his techniqes may think he is achieving more sales, I would argue that they are not. Consumers are not easily manipulated, especially in todays society where money is so hard to come by.
ReplyDeleteThe article “The Science of Shopping” was very interesting to read. It made some great points about how to “manipulate” the shopper. As I shop I do not even realize that the setup of the store is thought about very intensely by the business owner. The article talks about the “Decompression zone” which is when the items being placed in the back are what the shoppers are most likely to purchase. Now that I think about it, when I shop for clothes, I usually purchase items that are in the back zone. I believe the way that shoppers are manipulated is a very smart technique by business professionals because we don’t realize it and they are making great sales. I notice that when I shop there are items to purchase near the cashier. I believe this was something set up purposely. When I am with my little cousins they go crazy and want the candy bar that is near the cashier, and usually it is bought for them. I am sure this happens to many other people too.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "The Science of Shopping" was very interesting. As I read the article, I realized that these techiques are used in most of the stores I have been to. I find it very interesting that there are people in the world that are able to study the human mind and use it's behaviors to sell more products. I feel like a lot of these ideas are true. The idea of a human's downshift period is true. When someone walks fast to move with the trafic of people on the sidewalks of big cites like New York, they are too focused on what is in front of them to look at shop windows on their sides. When a shop window is angled towards the people walking towards it allows people around 25 feet away to see the items in the window while they are looking foward. This 25 foot cushion allows people to think about purchasing the items they see as they walk the 25 feet towards the shop door. They have time to slow down and move out of the flow of trafic into the store. I believe that for a store to be sucsessful, it has to manipulate it's customers by using techniques like these.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading the article, "The Science of Shopping" I learned many things I never knew about what goes through manager’s heads when they set up their store. I learned many good marketing strategies that I would never have known before reading the article. One important thing that I learned was that people walk the same way they drive, on the right side of the aisle or road. I thought it was interesting how they place necessities on the left and souvenir shops on the right so they get you to buy items you wouldn't go out of you way otherwise to buy. It is a science and I feel that store owners have very good marketing techniques that help bring in extra sales. The other positive thing that they do is compose the decompression zone which helps buyers buy their maximum amount of goods. By evenly spreading merchandise throughout the store owners and managers are able to have customers fill their carts.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "The Science of Shopping" was one of the more interesting articles that I have read in recent memory. The main point of this article is how stores study human nature and display their store in a specific way so that more people will buy things. One fact that I found interesting is that humans usually walk on the right side, as if they were driving a car. As a result, stores tend to angle their displays to the left so that everyone can see them. This technique is evident in the mall. Another interesting fact that was brought up is that store owners tend to hate being placed next to so called "empty windows". The reason for this is that when citizens see empty window, they tend to speed up and walk past them. This causes them to pass their store and not recognize what are in their windows. I believe that these techniques used by store owners are very smart and creative. It is a good idea to position your store the way people walk because it results in more people buying things. This article shows some behind the scenes technique that almost all store owners use and that we the customers never recognize.
ReplyDelete"The Science of Shopping" was intriguing and surprisingly accurate. I do a lot of things mentioned in the article, like turning to the right when I walk in a store. Most of it is unconscious, and I don't think twice about speeding up past a bank or how long it takes me to slow down to begin looking at stores to go into again. Even in the mall, I often don't want to cross over to the left side unless I absolutely have to because I simply feel more comfortable walking on the right. I also often pass through the first part of the store as I slow down to begin browsing "from walking speed to shopping speed". I think it's interesting how much time Paco put into this research. This information could be critical to store owners and could make a huge difference in the way they set up displays and organize their stores.
ReplyDeleteIn the article “The Science of Shopping”, the author writes about different ways stores try to grab the attention of shoppers and how stores try to use different types of advertising to convince the shopper that they need to buy a certain product. The decompression zone is the idea that where the product is located can affect its sales. For example, the items in the back corner of the decompression zone are more likely to be sold. Because of the decompression zone theory, stores put the more expensive products in it. Marketers always try to study consumer buying patterns to benefit their business. I don’t see these tactics as manipulating. I see them as well thought out plans and ideas to promote products and to move up business.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping" was about how stores in America manipulate shoppers. I never really thought about it until reading this article. I thinknthat it is true and a good idea. I think that the "decompression zone" is a good idea because I noticed that when shopping in a clothing store i tend to go towards the back. I also, notice that when i'm at work many people buy the things at the registers. They buy these gums and candies becasue they are impulse buys. If stores do these things to manipulate the shoppers they will probably sell more things.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping" was very fascinating to me because it opened my eyes to many human practices that are not commonly touched upon. The author immediately grabbed my attention in the first paragraph when he stated that "Human beings walk the way they drive." This got me thinking about humans and their walking patterns in the first sentence of a lengthy paragraph. I was unaware how much time and effort goes into the location and set up of stores in a mall. Every aspect of this could be the difference between being a successful store, and not having many customers. The way one retrieves and keeps customers is very important. Getting inside the mind of a shopper that is expected to step inside your store is the way to make money. I agree with Paco when he said, that stores want to be next to "empty windows" like banks because that will result of one paying more attention to their store. Overall I found this article very information and thoroughly interesting. Getting inside and understanding the human mind and thought process is very hard and I think that Paco did immense research and truly understood everything that needed to be understood on this topic.
ReplyDeleteThroughout the article “The Science of Shopping,” the author discusses different ways stores manipulate people into buying merchandise. They have learned so much information and studied people’s behavior regarding the manipulation of people that it is now a science. From the speed at people walk to the even distribution of merchandise throughout the store everything is precisely calculated to maximize sales. There are many different marketing strategies and a lot of time and effort is put into the setup of a store. The goal is for stores to influence people in very specific ways so buy certain items that would not have bought anyway, but since the item caught the customers’ eye they decide to buy it. To me this is very alarming because I was not aware I have been heavily influenced by stores my entire life.
ReplyDeleteIn the article, "The Science of Shopping" in section one it was astonishing to learn that their is a great deal and effort in to how people work around shopping. I can understand that this day in technology and economy that any little effort made to increase profits is a big deal. I do believe most of it is true because he seems to be a realiable source who has investigated the topic vigorously. As a consumer I do not like to know that I am being manipulated to buy things, but I can't stop this and I know that buisness are doing this to help increase profits which might help the economy. It was depressing to learn that consumers have stopped spending less time in these stores from about 72 minutes to 66 minutes. It is interesting to see so many stores implimenting the techniques like the "decompression zone" and "the downshift factor". I will take notice of some of these techniques next time I go shopping at the mall.
ReplyDeleteIn "The Science of Shopping" from The New Yorker, the author discusses how retailers use certain techniques to increase their profits. Paco Underhill has spent a decade and a half studying the behavior of shoppers and innovating ways to "manipulate" the consumer. Underhill used video footage to study patterns of consumers and came up with methods such as the decompression zone, ‘necessities on the left’, and store placement. These methods focus on placement of items and the locations of stores to influence the consumer. The decompression zone is an area at the front of the store that will calm the consumer. In this zone important sales or promotions are not visible, often because they will be over looked. ‘Necessities on the left’ essentially means to place impulse items on the right of the consumer and necessities on the left. This method works because consumers have a tendency to tilt their focus to the right of the store. The last method is store location; this focuses on the shopper’s walking speed. Stores should be placed by high attention stores because shoppers will slow down their speed to look, which draws their attention to stores around it. I think it is brilliant that Uphill studied consumer patterns and invented methods to increase profits. I understand that some shoppers think this is manipulative and it is, but it is the consumer's fault in part because he/she is so predictable.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "The Science of Shopping", discusses the behaviors of present day Americans in retail stores. The author claims to know how an individual will behave, and what they will do. I disagree with the author’s perspective on this topic. Even though there is a lot of background information and facts, I am not convinced that he is correct. A person can never know how an individual will behave. It is almost impossible to be completely accurate on how or what an individual will say or do. In business, the goal is to sell the product as efficiently as possible. Although his techniques may appear as if he is getting more sales, I would say that they are not. Businesses use tactics such as the Decompression Zone to grab the customer’s attention, and to make them more interested in the products. Tactics such as this may seem correct and non-arguable, but in reality, this doesn’t always pertain to the buyer.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping" is actually quite interesting although kind of hard to read because of the way its formatted. I knew that stores were laid out in a certain way to try to get you to buy more, for example having milk in the back right corner so you walk through many isles before getting there, but I didn't know it was studied so in depth. Now that I think about it, I do drift to the right but the tendency is because of habit, like driving on the right side of the road. Its a good marketing strategy to put the best items in a certain "zone" and avoid putting certain items in another "zone" even though filming people is kind of weird especially when you have no idea its going on.
ReplyDeleteI thought that the article “The Science of Shopping” was very interesting. I think that the idea of manipulating consumers in order to increase profits is a smart thing to do. Humans are so programmed to stay to the right while driving, it only makes sense that those thoughts would transfer over into the shopping realm. The science of shopping truly is a science, from the fact that your peripheral vision is limited when walking fast or how long the average person takes to slow down, to how long it takes for your eyes to adjust when first entering the store. Although some people may feel manipulated by these store owners who choose to use Paco’s methods, I do not. I feel that it’s important that the store owner does everything possible to maximize their profits, and if they do not do that they could go out of business.
ReplyDeleteI found this article very interesting. A lot of the things made sense and were things that I never really thought about before, but I can see how they are true. Since we drive on the right side of the road, we tend to stay on the right when going up stairs, walking down the street, or shopping. It is a good tactic to target stores for people walking past on the right. It’s a little creepy that they spend so much time and effort into predicting what shoppers do and like, but it’s pretty cool, because thinking about it, I have been a victim of almost all of the tactics. I will definitely be more on the lookout for sales tactics trying to deceive me.
ReplyDeleteI found the article " The Science of Shopping" to be very interesting. In many stores I did notice how certain items were placed in certain places in order to manipulate the shopper to buy it, but this article explained where an item should be placed in order to get the most shoppers to buy it. I also found it interesting, that people tend to stay to the right while walking, like they do when they are driving, therefore stores put more "impulse buys" stores on the right side. Food stores are placed on the left side because people are more likely to cross trafic to go to get food rather than buying an item of clothing. It was interesting to see how much science actually goes into the layout of a store and how much customers are actually manipulated to buy an item that the store wants to sell a lot of.
ReplyDeleteIn "The Science of Shopping", I never realized that there was so much of a mental mind game when going shopping. It is true, I always do go to the right whenever i enter a mall or go into a store. People are trained to stay to the right when driving or even on the stairs in elementary school. It is a known thing that people walk onthe right and people go back to the left so there is no traffic jam. People have been so trained to do this that they don't even realize that they are doing it. I agree with the "Decompression Zone". When a store or object is placed in a busy area or around no stores, more people are going to speed up around the store and they won't see the store or object because the perifial vision is narrower. People walk faster when there is more open space and there is loess traffic. Even in New York streets, people are basically running by just becasue they push through to find an open area. But, just because they walk faster doesn't mena they will get there faster. It takes them longer to slow down and they are more likely to hit into something becuse they arent paying attention to their surroundings.
ReplyDeleteI thought the “Science of Shopping” article is very interesting. I didn’t know how much thought went into where the clothing and store are located. I like how Paco infused his knowledge of urban planning into creating the perfect store. He is correct when he said that people need time to adjust to the lighting and shopping mode when they enter a store. Some stores have merchandise right when you walk in the door that most people just walk past resulting in it never being sold. I never thought that a clothing store next to a bank would do poorly until Paco made those interesting points. People tend to speed up when they walk past a bank or out of a bank because there’s nothing to look at or participate in. Display window can make or break a business because that’s the first thing I look for as a shopper. If the window looks enticing then I will enter the store, but if it not then I will continue walking.
ReplyDeleteIn the article, "Science of Shopping" the author makes some very interesting points and things that many people can relate to. For instance, when we drive, we stay on the right side of the road and when we go upstairs, we tend to stay on the right side of the stairs. Also, I found it interesting that certain items in the store are in certain places to catch the attention of the consumer. And that people's peripheral vision is limited when they are walking faster. In conclusion, the article was very relatable and informed the reader of actions that we dont even think about.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading "The Science of Shopping," I was very interested with what store owners think about when picking a location for their business. The location of the store is very important and their are certain stratagies that are used in order to lure in customers. Certain marketing stratagies can actually have a big effect on getting customers to buy a product. Now that I think about it, many stores put candy and other items at the cash registers right before you leave the store. This is done primarily to maximize profits and continue to make sales even when the consumer is about to leave the store. Overall there are many factors into picking a location for a business, most of the time the location has a purpose. Products are also put in certain places which serve as a way for the customer to notice and then buy the product.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping" was very intriguing. The thought process on where stores are located and what to put them by is a lot more then I thought. I did agree with how people stay on there right because thats where people normally walk and drive. It just natural so to put things to the right of you would bring more people to that store other then crossing over people to get to the left side. I do not feel manipulated at all it is jus smart business to me. Almost all of this if not all is true. People do tent to spead up around places they do not want to go and slow down around stores that interest them.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "Science of Shopping", made some very good points, and made me aware of things I wasn't aware of prior to reading the article. The part in the article when the author discusses how a person will walk past a back, because they aren't interested in it, and if your store is next to the bank it will most likely be passed, and not even seen. I find this interesting, because I probably have done this before. To me it's weird that we spend less time at the mall now than in 1992, because I feel like a lot of people go to the mall to shop, or to hangout but they spend a lot of time there. I have learned a lot from this article, and how much thought people put into others shopping.
ReplyDeleteIn the article, “The Science of Shopping” the author explains how the placement of merchandise by stores actually can affect which ones consumers will buy. I learned that people walk in stores just like how they drive. We walk up the right side of the aisle. They put necessities on the left so that you go out of your way to get it and wants or souvenirs on the right so if it is arms reach you will just grab it. I think it’s cool how employees will watch over film of the consumers shopping so that they know how they can increase the amount of sales. I also find interesting the “Decompression Zone” theory. This theory explains that where products are placed are based on sales. The products placed towards the edge of the zone are more likely to be sold.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The science of shopping" was accually pretty interesting but also bizzare. It explains how Paco takes all this time out of his day to anaylaze the way people shop and how people behave in retail stores. I honestly think this is rediculous and is over thought. I dont belive that people choose different sides to put clothing stores on and on the other like accsessory stores. I feel like no matter what people will always shop and theres no certian way to act in a store.
ReplyDeleteWhen I finshed reading "The Science of Shopping" many things that I have noticed in the past that I thought were weird now made sense. I never realized how much planning goes into selling different products. I thought it was just put there for no reason. For example, things are placed in certain spots so people see them better. I don't feel manipulated because I probably wouldn't have noticed or realized if it wsan't for this article. Lastly, I am very surprised that people sit and review tapes of people shopping.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping" talks about how stores try to predict what people will do and then plan their advertising around it. I found this interesting and think this form of advertising can be a factor in what we do, but it is impossible to know what a person will do and when they will do it. I am indifferent about this because when I go to a store I just get the stuff I need and get out. Trader Joe's does this by putting certain items at the front of the store.
ReplyDeleteI think that the article The Science of Shopping is an interesting perspective on how someone analyzes shoppers and their habits. I thought that the first paragraph that talked about the airports and how they have certain stores on one side was very interesting. I agree that someone is more likely to stop and buy a shirt if they are walking on that side rather than walking across the airport to buy something. I thought that it was interesting to learn about how much time Paco invested in studying shoppers and how they act towards certain items and stores. I think that it was smart of Paco to take the risk and spend all his money on cameras because it obviously paid off; the article says that he founded a company that counseled very big companies. He took the risk and it paid off. The analysis of stores that are recorded by camera seems to really help the businesses, because according to the article there is a decrease in shopping, so since they have everything recorded the businesses can change or fix anything that needs to be adjusted. This can help them see what they are doing wrong as well as what they are doing right. Since Paco took the risk he has helped many companies see how their shoppers are in their store and helped them to see what they can change.
ReplyDelete"The Science of Shopping" had several good points that most humans don't ever think about. I think that the points this article makes are very specific and requires a lot of thought. Studying the pace of shopper's as they walk passed certain types of stores or even the speed of their car at certain stop lights is a very smart thing for an advertiser to do. Paco made me realize how much thought goes into creating a perfect store with great business. Not only is the store location crucial to the sales, but also where you place certain merchandise in the store. I agree with the contents in this article, because it truly is important to consider these when starting up a business. Hollister in Smithaven mall goes against these practices, because the lights in the store are exrtemely dim, the scent is overly strong, and the girls clothes are on the left of the store.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping" brought our attention to things we never realize. I think that Paco is correct in a lot of the information. For example, when he says that you never want to be next to a bank is very true because people normally don't look/are attracted to the sight of a bank so it hurts your business if you are next to one. There are a lot of factors that you need to look into when opening a successful store. Many store owners do not include all of these factors that Paco brings up.
ReplyDeleteThe article "The Science of Shopping" brought my attention to many things I would have never noticed. It's strange to realize how much people are manipulated when doing something as simple as shopping. I knew that store owners put items in certain places to draw the customer's attention to them, but I never knew they went to the extent of watching film of customers shopping. I agree with this article, I think it is important to keep these things in mind when starting a business, it helps to draw the customers attention. For example, when displaying products you want to put the nicer things in the back so they are more likely to be sold.
ReplyDeleteI found "The Science of Shopping" to be an eye-opening piece that has provided me with information that will really make me think about every move I make in future shopping experiences. I believe much of what Paco Underhill has to say, for he seems to be a rather credible source with hundreds of thousands of hours of research and hard evidence under his belt. The concept that interested me the most and that I could personally connect with the most was the "Decompression Zone". I am typically in such a rush or I am still distracted with my phone when I enter a store that I end up missing entire displays before I realize what my purpose of being in the store was in the first place. Entering Smithhaven Mall through Macy's is a perfect example of how the "Decompression Zone" works its magic every time. No matter how many times I enter the mall through Macy's, I can never remember which entrance I came in through because I am never paying enough attention while walking through the entryways. It is always a struggle to recall if I parked near the woman's shoe department, the men's department, etc. If the "Decompression Zone" theory was not at work when entering Macy's, I would never have an issue finding my car. All in all, these "retail anthropologists" are tricking consumers into purchasing more goods and strategically altering customers' shopping methods; however, there seems to be no other option than to do so in today's circumstances where businesses become more and more competitive and consumers less and less willing to spend.
ReplyDeleteI found the science of shopping to be an interesting piece that explained several things I had noticed when shopping. In grocery stores, things such as necessities, milk, eggs, sugar, bread, are often at the back of the store. This article explains the logic behind these decisions, the fact that if you put what the customer came for at the back of the store, the customer will walk through the entire store and see everything else before being "finished" shopping. The Smithhaven Mall is a good example of decompression zone, as when entering the mall from any of the doors that are not located within a store, there is a large empty hallway with only vending machines. The vending machines are directly to the right of the doors.
ReplyDeleteReading this article, I have found many things that i have never taken into account anymore when it comes to shopping, and the thought that workers and business owners put into it. IN the supermakret, the actual things people set out to buy is scattered around the store; for example the eggs are usually in one of the last aisles, that way you dont crush them. And the gum and other attractive things are by the register for when you are bored and waiting on the line. Also i had never thought about the way people design their stores in the mall, figuring everybody walks on their right, to be able to see the stores and attractions on the left side.
ReplyDeleteIn the article "The Science of Shopping" it shows you how much thought and detail goes into the construction and display of the store or department. Everyday shoppers, like myself, would never really think about or analyze the reasoning behind why everything is located where it is. It is very interesting to know that people actually took the time to think about where to put items that people would actually buy them.
ReplyDeleteIn the article, “The Science of Shopping” the author explains how the placement of merchandise by stores can affect what consumers will buy. Average consumers never really put much thought into things such as the layout of the store, and companies take advantage of this to get shoppers to lower there guard and to more easily influence them. I was surprised at the fact that buyers have such a large habit of walking to their right when entering a store, and that companies will use this information and put their most attractive items where the consumers go. It also explains why common items such as bread or eggs in a grocery store are always in the back, to make sure that shoppers have to go through their entire store to get to those desired items. I was not expecting the amount of effort that goes into placement of products, and also the study of consumer behavior.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "The Science of Shopping", points out ways in which consumers are easily manipulated to buy things in a store. I never realized how easily people are persuaded by the set-up of a store. I knew it was important, however, I didn't know how much work went into it. It is important to keep customers happy, therefore it is important to pay attention to every detail in order to get them to buy products. Store location is also extremely important. For example, businesses near banks tend to do more poorly. Studies show that people tend to quickly walk past banks and stores near them because there is nothing to look at. I never realized how much thought goes into the "science of shopping".
ReplyDelete