Please follow the instruction that I discussed in class Wednesday. (Also refer to Wednesday's blog post). If any of your peers were absent, please fill them in.
Also, below is the article to read and respond to by Friday at the end of the day. :)
Have a great weekend! See you Tuesday!
MM
Are You Rude?!?!
From Oprah.com...
"Fed up with the rude behavior you experience day in and day out? Is it aggressive driving, co-workers who don't wash their hands or smokers who use the sidewalk as their personal ashtrays? What about the sales clerks who ignore you -- then act like they own the store when you finally get their attention?It's time for a return to civility!"
Click on the link to continue reading the article, "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again" and blog a thoughtful response to its content. Feel free to comment on other student's posts to enhance your own (if applicable and appropriate).
"Fed up with the rude behavior you experience day in and day out? Is it aggressive driving, co-workers who don't wash their hands or smokers who use the sidewalk as their personal ashtrays? What about the sales clerks who ignore you -- then act like they own the store when you finally get their attention?It's time for a return to civility!"
Click on the link to continue reading the article, "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again" and blog a thoughtful response to its content. Feel free to comment on other student's posts to enhance your own (if applicable and appropriate).
After reading this article I was left with a feeling of suprise. Hearing about these different experiences made me realize that people aren't as civil as I thought they were. People are ignoring the most basic philosophy we are taught throughout our whole life, "treat others as you would like to be treated." If everyone followed this code, I'm positive that situations like the ones in the article would not happen. I was also really intrigued by all the instances that involved people on their cell phones. In a world where almost everyone has a cell phone, they are using it almost every second. This is one of the most rude things a person can do. When one is using their cell phone around other people, it is basically showing that you don't care to be there. I'm not saying it isn't ok to be on your cell phone, just have the courtesy to put it away when surrounded with guests. I also agree with the fact that we are in a stressful society and some people unintentionally take their anger out on us. With unfair bosses, low paying jobs, personal troubles, and uncivil people; I think that it can spur the anger in some people and, without knowing, they take it out on us. To fix this, I think that people should not be so quick to be sarcastic or rude. I think they should think about what their about to do or say before they actually do it.
ReplyDeleteIn the article, "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again", the author describes everyday scenarios where people are rude and mean. I think that in all of these cases, people don't think about their actions before they happen. It is usually an impulse and a split second decision. Most people are quick to say they are not rude, however, more times than not, everyone has been in a situation where they have been disrespectful. Normally, people do not think about the consequences about their actions prior to the occurrence. But you never know who you might see again and it is even listed in the article that people will take "revenge". The overall message of this piece is to show people the many cases of where mean behavior affects others around them. It's an old cliché but it always deems to be true, treat others the way you want to be treated.
ReplyDeleteI believe that many people are rude today, especially to people who do not deserve to be treated wrong. Oprah said that she hates people who are rude to service workers. I agree with her because they are just trying their best to do their jobs and people are rude to them all the time, which isn't right. More and more poeple are talking on their cell phone while being helped by workers, that is very rude because your not giving your attention to someone who is trying to help you. I think its horrible how people have such rage at others. A costumer takes their days problems out on a worker, when they are totally innocent in the whole thing. Dr. P.M. Forni said that if we are more polite and considerate,then our relationships with people would improve. Everyone should take into consideration how someone else is feeling. Obviously no one wants to be treated badly at work. We should all respect service workers.
ReplyDeleteThis article was interesting. I always try to be a generally nice person, and when I go to restaurants I know not to treat people like my servants. I never really thought of it from the other side, but seeing their view makes me glad that I am always nice to waiters and clerks. A lot of people are rude, and without even realizing it. Everybody has this preconceived notion that everything revolves around them. I think if everyone just stopped to recognize other people once and a whole, America would be a nicer place.
ReplyDelete"Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again," is an insightful article made for others to think about their daily actions. Many people do not realize when they are being rude towards others because they are busy talking on their cell phone or having a bad day. People don't recognize their actions and how they affect other people, until the situation is flipped. I believe that if people tried to be more respectful then many of our daily annoyances would not exist. Therefore, this would make day to day living more pleasant for everyone. After reading this article I will make more of an effort to be respectful when at a resturant, gas staion or even driving.
ReplyDeleteHearing about these different occurrences in this article really did open my eyes up to reality. People can get effected easily by peoples rudeness. There really is no explaination to why somebody should even be rude in the first place. People just speak freely, without realizing their words or even actions can really take a hurting on another individual. Whether you're a teacher, a waitor, or even somebody who works at a gas station, you should be treated with full respect. Oprah explains how she dislikes people who are rude to service workers, and I agree 100%. These people are here to help you, and they should get the full respect that they deserve.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again," really caught my attention in the fact that people can be so rude. Many dont realize it, but the employees feel awful when they encounter an experience when the customer is rude. Also, many think before they act. If you are having a bad day that doesnt mean you should take it out on others. Sates by Dr. P.M Forni stated that if we are more considerate and polite to others than our relationships with people would improve. Therefore, i believe if everyone tries to not act as if the world revolves around them and have a little more respect for those surrounding them, the world would be a better place.
ReplyDeleteFrom reading this article, I disovered that people are more rude to one another than I had expected. I was shocked when the TSA agent explained a situation where a customer threw a bottle of cologne at her when she told them they were not allowed to bring it on the plane. I could never imagine being this rude to someone, and am curious as to what was going through this person head when they were being so disrespectful. With the cell phone issue,I agree with a lot of the things that were discussed. I too am a culprit of over cell phone usage. At all times of the day I tend to have my phone in my hand, and sometimes even use it when others are speaking to me, without even realizing that I am being rude. This is another factor playing into people having "rude" behavior, the fact that one may not even realize what they are actually doing. Some people are unaware of their behvior, and are under so much stress, that they come off as rude when they are not trying to be. Therefore, I believe that people should become more aware of their actions, and try to make it a priority to be nicer to one another.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with Brittany. The article, "Are you Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again," points out how rude people can be without even realizing it. It is weird to think that different people think and act differently. Some people believe that they never do anything wrong. A main problem in the US is the cell phone issue. Many people, including myself, get caught up in messaging and games on the cell phone, and they do not realize they are being rude to the people around them. Small problems like overuse of cell phones can lead to bigger issues, especially when people are unaware of their own behavior. I agree with Brittany, people do need to become more aware of their actions, and make it a habitat to be nicer to others.
DeleteThe article "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again" the author shares with us her and many others belief that people in our society do not think of other people. I do agree that people can be very rude, perhaps not to the level of a "national problem" but still a problem none the less. I think that empathy is something that people in general have to work on, and while it may take a long time I think that people will eventually be able to understand each other on a deeper level, or at least be a bit more considerate of them.
ReplyDeleteThe article "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again," took me by surprise. I knew that when people are in a rush or having a bad day they don't think about how they are acting towards others, but I never knew the effect they had on others. I now will make sure that I'm always nice to the employees everywhere I go to make sure that they aren't emotionally hurt or offended. I was surprised to hear how rude some people could be at a restaurant. I know that their job is not easy and that its very stressful. I try to make my experience there to be as easy as possible by being polite and understanding that it was not their fault if something was not right. I learned that the slightest rude comment or action could throw off someone elses day and turn it into a bad day for them. I feel that this rudeness is just a cycle and that if everyone learned to be respectful and polite to others then this rude cycle would be broken.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt is interesting, yet not surprising that so many people are rude in America. The fact that 80% of America complain about rudeness and 99% say that they are not rude just stems from the fact that everyone is a hypocrite. Every day i see people being rude whether or not they actually realize what they are doing, i don't really know. The average person just has to take their actions into account and ask themselves "am i being rude right now?" Unfortunetly, I feel that many people would answer "yes" to this question, but not care that they are being rude. It's really a shame what people can be like after peer pressure and bad manners get to them.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI didn't find it surprising that there are so many rude people in america. I believe that all of the fuss in the modern world has made people act rude to each other. Also all of the rushing around makes people less prone to thinking about how their actions effect the people around them. I believe though that it is a persons choice to be rude to others or not, you just need to be conscious of the people around you.
ReplyDeleteCapitalize America!!!!
DeleteGood point.
DeleteFunny, Mitesh. Ha Ha
DeleteIn the article "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again," the author speaks about how rude people are. I'm no surprised at all about the amount of rude people in America. I think most people are thinking about themselves and not others in most of these situations. I'm also not surprised that most people don't consider themselves rude. I believe that people think that they are always right and other people are wrong. People need to really look at themselves and admit that they are rude.
ReplyDeleteI think that the survey of Americans, asking them if they thought rudeness is a serious national problem, has to be taken with a grain of salt. Of course people are going to say that other people are rude and they are not. Only 1% of the people asked were telling the truth. You can not define what it means to be rude because it is relative to you. You might think that someone talking on their phone in line at the airport is being rude. However, to that person, it could be an important call they needed to take at that moment. That is why most Americans think other Americans are rude, but think they are not rude themselves.
ReplyDeleteIn the article, Are you rude? Maybe you should think again? it speaks about the conventions of society on the basis of behavior. That being rude is a phenomon throughout and most don't seem to accept that they are rude. It is interesting to see that many people believe they are not even though 80 percent of America believes the nation has a serious problem. I know that people don't intentional want to be rude it is brought out because of agravating problems. When people don't get what they want or are experiencing a bad day it is logical to say that they are emotionally distressed and have that problem to become rude. It is a way to channel their anger. Some people take their anger of on workers they feel are doing medial tasks such as, the lady who was a clerk at the gas station. Some feel superior which is inappropriate. Being rude is a terrible aspect to society, but it is inevitable.
ReplyDeleteOprah.com's article "Are you rude? Maybe you should think again" has an excellent point in saying that people experience rude behavior by others every day. I share some pet peeves of Oprah's, mainly about others texting on the phone while speaking to me. Ever since I began driving and working at a resturant, I have experienced rude behavior on a much larger scale. I don't believe that people realize the impact of rude behavior on others, or even care in some situations. Rudeness causes a chain reaction; if someone is rude to you, you get annoyed and are most likely rude to the next person you come in contact with. To avoid this domino effect, people should work on how they percieve rude behavior and try not to let it affect them. There are always others that will spread their bad attitude, but it doesn't always have cause a disturbance if one brushes off the encounter.
ReplyDeleteI competely agree with what Candance said. I feel how she thinks its rude if people text while she is working. Many restrauants have put up signs that say "no service while texting." One can not expect respect if they dont give it out first. Candance captured the essense of the article and how people can be so rude in todays society. As a whole we need to work on this.
DeleteAfter reading the article, "Are you rude? Maybe you should think again," I was not surprised about how many people believe that themselves personally are not rude. In society people tend to blame others as a way to cover up themselves and the way they actually are as a person. People in society are sometimes unable to recognize their own actions and how they may be treating others. No matter how stressful of a situation you are in, it does not justify you to treat other people badly. Everyone is going to have their own opinion on how people are rude to one another.
ReplyDelete"Are you Rude" made me realize that many people can be rude to employees. I know that dealing with rude customers is a pain and therefore I try to be polite to employees when I am the customer. I am not surprised by how many people don't realize their rude actions, but after being the one who is disrespected, you realize that you should be polite to employees.
ReplyDeleteThe article "Are you rude? Maybe you should think again" on Oprah.com brings up many intriguing arguments that point toward people being more rude than we think. One of Oprah's biggest problems with today's society is the fact that, in this day and age, people cannot maintain a face-to-face conversation without checking their phones to text someone else. I have also noticed and been annoyed by this 21st century phenomenon. In my opinion, people tend to not even realize how rude they are. Backing this sentiment is a survey in which Americans, generally, expressed the belief that they are not rude, but others are. Although "rudeness" is an awful aspect of modern society, I cannot envision it ever going away, it is a personality trait inside of all of us that can come out whenever someone is having a bad day.
ReplyDeleteOprahs's article "Are you rude? Maybe you should think again" shows many different ways of people being rude in everyday life. Some rude behaviors include smoking on sidewalks near people, reckless driving, and texting while with someone. I think that today, technology has created a gap between peoples' face to face communication and ruined their social skills. Many people now text while with one another instead of looking at eachother and rarely talk to eachother, but instead text. A big reason for all this rude behavior is that many people don't even know they are being rude and most of the time people don't even point it out to them. For example, when someone is smoking on the sidewalk, people don't say anything and enable that person to do that again. One thing that is important to note is that if someone is being rude to you, it does not justify you to be rude back and instead you should address the situation with an appropriate behavior. You don't want to end up being rude like the other person.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "Are you rude? Maybe you should think again," displays how people in today's society do not think they are rude. While many people believe they are nice and caring 80 percent of people believes the nation has a serious problem. Being rude though, is relative to the person. One might believe being rude is not holding the door while other may believe it is texting while having a conversation. I always try to be as nice as possible but I wouldnt be surprised if I have been rude towards someone more then once a day. It is so easy to be rude so if you experience some sort of disrespect realize that the other person may not even realize it.
ReplyDeleteI agree with you. "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again," is an insightful article made for others to think about their daily actions. Many people do not realize when they are being rude towards others because they are busy talking on their cell phone or having a bad day. People don't recognize their actions and how they affect other people, until the situation is flipped. I believe that if people tried to be more respectful then many of our daily annoyances would not exist. Therefore, this would make day to day living more pleasant for everyone. After reading this article I will make more of an effort to be respectful when at a resturant, gas staion or even driving.
DeleteI agree with you. "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again," is an insightful article made for others to think about their daily actions. Many people do not realize when they are being rude towards others because they are busy talking on their cell phone or having a bad day. People don't recognize their actions and how they affect other people, until the situation is flipped. I believe that if people tried to be more respectful then many of our daily annoyances would not exist. Therefore, this would make day to day living more pleasant for everyone. After reading this article I will make more of an effort to be respectful when at a resturant, gas staion or even driving.
DeleteAfter reading the article, I was somewhat shocked at how rude some people can be without giving it a second thought. When I saw that someone threw a bottle of cologne at another person, I couldn't believe it. But, I do understand how people can be rude without even knowing it. For example, it is understandable how people don't realize they are being rude while using their phone. Even though they don't realize it, it is still rude and I believe that there is no excuse for it.
ReplyDeleteThe article "Are you rude? Maybe you should think again," is about many different ways that many people in society are extremely rude to each other. Its ridiculous how some individuals can look at other people and automatically decide that they do not deserve respect. Rudness can be unintentional but when it is really unacceptable is when one is rude to another person intentionally. Social skills in todays technology ridden age are dwindling. As people spend more time comunicating with each other over the internet or through cell phones, the less time they comunicate in person, face to face. These face to face interactions are crucial in building good social skills so people know how to deal with other people.
ReplyDeleteThis article is something every person should go by. People disregard other people’s feelings every day and it is becoming a big problem in this world. They treat others with disrespect and they don’t realize how the other person feels when after doing it. Oprah is completely right when she talks about people being so rude in restaurants and to service workers. They should be kinder because those people work their butts off to make a living and it’s important to treat them with how you would want to be treated. Some people like she said are just so mean and they complain about everything just to get what they want and they disregard the workers feelings.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this article because I do believe that many people are rude and inconsiderate for no reason. I think that a lot of people don't realize when they are being nasty or rude, and without them knowing what they say comes off as being rude. I agree that people show who they really are by how they treat the people serving them. I think that it is important to stand by the saying treat others the way you want to be treated.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this article by Oprah because in essence all people are truely rude in some type of way. The article describes many ways in which the majority of people are rude, one of which is texting and talking at the same time. I believe you are rude if you can not give complete attention to who you are talking to. I am guilty of doing this at times to my parents when I am watching a show I have trouble talking to them and paying attention to the show. It is important to treat all others around you with respect and honor. How would you feel if the people around you where rude to you? I feel that if people are more cautious, they can stay away from being rude to others.
ReplyDeleteThis was a great article. Articles like this should be read by everyone and also others should be read to enhance our quality of living. When people are rude to you, its not only annoying but its also degrading. Everyone wants to be treated with respect and without that respect, our lives can't run efficiently. I make sure we are nice to the waiters because, like stated in the article, I am afraid of my food getting spit in it. My family is quite demanding at restauraunts, asking for substitutions and more bread, but we are always nice about it; we use our manners and say please and thank you. I feel like its normally the person with a busy lifestyle that ends up being rude whether they notice it or not.
ReplyDeleteThis article shows that people are more rude then they realize. When a customer is having a bad day they usaly take it out on the clerk because they dont expect to ever see them again. People will talk on the phone at the airport, holding up lines which is inconciderate to others. This article made me realize that people dont put effort into being conciderate to others.
ReplyDeleteThe article really captures the inconveniences that people go through and what bothers people. I liked when she talked to Jerry Seinfeld, a comedian/ actor and he deals with the same rude gestures that regular people deal with every day. I agree with many of the points made in this article and think that people, especially working at a store you go into, should show more manners.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this article, I can conclude that technology is one of the main things that can cause us to be rude. Texting while having a conversation with someone is very rude because then it shows that you are not interested in the conversation and then it also makes the other person feel silly. I think that people should be more respectful to others around them and take the time to have a normal conversation with someone face to face instead of phone to phone, especially at the dinner table.
ReplyDeleteThis article really made me think of all the rude things people do around me that I don't notice or that I accidentally do. Our generation is centered around technology so we are seen with a piece of technology everywhere we go. My mom always yells at me for being on my phone all the time but to me it is normal. I do get annoyed when people around me are constantly on their phones not realizing that I do the same thing. Our generation needs to be more respectful to others and put the phone down once in awhile.
ReplyDeleteI find this article to have many true statements. The article describes many ways in which the majority of people are rude. I believe you are being rude if you can not give complete attention to who you are talking to.Many times you find this with texting. I do this myself at times and I now realize that it is inconsiderate to others around me. People don't realize how their actions affect others and how they may hurt them.
ReplyDeleteAfter reading this article, I realize that treating others the way you want to be treated is extremely important in life. I agree with the article in the fact that rudeness is a problem. I don’t think anyone has the right to be rude to another person no matter who they are, what their job is, or how successful they are. There are times every day where people are rude and mean to one another. I find it most interesting that people are constantly rude and just are unaware of it. If everyone could become aware of their situation, and think before they speak and act, rudeness would be much less of a problem in everyday life. Overall, when reading this article, I was shocked at how rude people could be to others every day without even feeling guilty about it or realizing there was a problem in their actions. However, I do feel it makes sense since, these days, people are very focused on themselves and improving their own personal situations. People must think of others before themselves if they want to eliminate the element of rudeness in their life.
ReplyDeleteI found this article to be very truthful of how people tend to act in front of people they intend to never see again. I agree with the article that rudeness is everywhere and needs to be stopped. People act selfishly and pretend like they are the most important people in the world. They don't understand what they are doing or saying, they just seem to care about themselves and very little about the people around them. People's actions can greatly affect someone else so its very important to treat someone the way you would want to be treated. It's amazing how rude people can behave in public areas, so everyone should try to treat people around them with great respect.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with this article and treating others with respect is something people lack in today's society. I was really surprised at how people can be cruel to others and not feel any type of remorse. Too many people are focused on only themselves and they don't realize the negative impact they have on others. Everyone should treat each other how they would want to be treated and everyone has feelings and opinions. Even if you disagree as a human you need to consider their side and at least listen. There is never an excuse to be rude towards someone else. It does not depend on race, class gender everyone is the same and it is time to treat even the people you don't know with dignity and respect.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "Are You Rude? Maybe You Should Think Again" really caught my attention. I agree with this article in that people have stopped treating others the way they would like to be treated and I believe we should go back to that. I get extremely angry when I see an employee get disrespected by a customer who was said to be having a "bad day". Just because you have a bad day doesn't give you the right to disrespect someone who is trying to help you. This article also brought to my attention actions that can annoy some people without the person who is doing it knowing he is being rude. Now, I know not to answer my phone when I am in a conversation with someone and that interrupting people who are talking is also very rude. This article made me realize that I should treat everyone with respect.
ReplyDeleteI believe that this correctly article discusses the lack of respect that many people in society have today. In society today people feel no sorrow for the many different ways in which they act rude. After reading this article I believe it is truly rude if you do not give your undivided attention to who you are talking with. I feel that this giving your full attention to someone is made difficult because of new technology such as the cell phone. People are unaware of how their actions and being rude can possibly affect others.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this article and find that some people can be extremely rude at sometimes. Being rude to one person can spark a chain reaction to occur which can be uncontrollable. I believe that there isnt ever a time when one person should be rude to another. Its important that employees arent rude to customers because that could affect the customer coming back to the store. Also customers should not be rude to employees. These employees are working there hardest to make sure that you're happy and if you treat them rudely then they wont work as hard for you. I believe it is important that we all treat eachother with respect and are as kindly as possible when talking to strangers.
ReplyDeleteThis article explains how rude people can be, and I completely understand where some of these people are coming from. When I worked at a beauty supply store, the customers were extremely rude to me, by not even looking at me and basically throwing what they want at me. I wanted nothing more than to tell them how rude they were being but were taught the customer is always right. I believe it's really wrong that people are rude to others who are working. It's very stressful and others should understand that. It doesn't hurt to be nice to people and smile.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this article.I feel like some people are rude to others for no good reason at all. I feel like some people can be rude to others because they think they are higher up in society than another person. Like if the person is more wealthy than another they richer person can be rude and disrespectful to the poorer person for no reason at all. I think it is foolish to be rude in circumstances like that.
ReplyDeleteI found that this article is very true. The article shows various different ways that people in todays society can be rude to one another. If you don't give someone your complete and total attention when that are talking to you is rude, especially if that person does so for you. It is hard to notice when you are doing this when it is a habit. i find myself talking when the teacher is talking and that is very rude of me to do because i am not showing my teacher the proper respect he or she deserves.
ReplyDeleteI find this article very agreeable. People in society don't know and respect basic manners in situations. When employes are rude to customers it gives a bad feeling to the customer and more likely they will not return to that place. It could be at a store or even a restaurant. It is very important to be nice to the customer so they may return to that place or recommend it to piers. People now a days only care about their own satisfactions and do not treat others right. It does not matter if the employee is stressed or having a bad day, that a large part on working is to put your problems aside to satisfy all, not just for keeping a job but for better business.
ReplyDeleteI agree with this article. It tells readers different ways people are rude. I think it is a little surprising to think that people can be very rude without realizing it. Some people disregard others feelings so easily and they don't even feel sorry about it. I think that everyone should read this article so they can gain some insight about how being rude to someone can really negatively impact their day and their attitudes towards other people. This article tells you that being kind to people can get you a lot further in life and that you should treat people the way you want to be treated.
ReplyDeleteThe article, "Are you rude? Maybe you should think again" is a very interesting post. It really made me aware and think am I rude? Everyone should read this article and think twice about how they act. A main idea everyone should focus on is that you need to treat others the way that you would want to be treated. Some people in this world are just cold hearted people. The best way to avoid those people is to surround yourself around those that care about you. Oprah is helping to spread the word of kindness.
ReplyDelete