Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Hello Musees,

Today is Tuesday.  Your Final Descriptive piece is due half way through the period today.  Please:
1.) Submit to turnitin.com
2.) Staple everything together (draft 1 on bottom, then peer edit sheet, then final draft on top) and place on the "big desk."

Next, due tomorrow:
  1. Complete College Essay Brainstorming Sheet
  2. Check out the new Common App prompts for this year and choose one that you will write your essay on by tomorrow morning.  You may even begin to brainstorm.
  3. Read and annotate the articles "Don't Be Bland" and "Your Essay Makes a Difference"  Be ready to discuss these tomorrow morning. 
 Due Thursday: See blog post below, "College Advice From People Who Have Been There Awhile"

College Advice, From People Who Have Been There Awhile


By click on the following link, College Advice, you will be brought to an opinion page of the NY Times. At this page there are a variety of short articles providing advice on college from "people who have been there awhile." Read three (3) of the opinions listed and respond in a thoughtful blog response. Be sure to respond to and name all three of the articles you read in order for this blog response to count as one of your required blogs for the quarter.

 
Suggested readings: "Don't Alienate Your Professor," "Play Politics," and "Go the Wrong Way"

 

36 comments:

  1. 1) The first article I read was "Play Politics." I agree what with the article said. Reading does make one a better writer and it also helps with learning new challenging vocabulary words. Writing is very important and to be a good writer is a great skill to have, and it will help in college. The article said to ask your fellow piers to read over your work with you, I think that is a great tip because a second pair of eyes can point out something you didn't realize. Finally, another great tip was to not be afraid to express your opinions.
    2) "My Crush on DNA"- This article was about a woman who changed her major after hearing a lecture she was really interested in. I learned in this article that you should experiment with all differnt types of subjects because you might find something you didn't know about interesting and fall in love with it. You should not just focus on one thing because it might not be the right field of study for you.
    3) "Don't Alienate Your Professor"- In your college classes you should always be positive. One shouldn't act bored and disinterested. I agree with this. You make what you get out of the class. If one gets involved it makes it more interesting. You should make your time useful and not be in a rush a to get out of the class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Don't Alienate Your Professor" This article was meant to give advice to college freshman on how to deal with professors. In college, professors assume that you are matured and know how to act in class. The article stated that you should never look bored in front of your professor, never ask questions that are arbitrary. Practice how to look interested during a lecture even if you are not.
    "Play Politics” In this article there were many different points of advice for going into college. First, one should pick a major and courses that truly interest them. In college you are not forced into taking every class, yet you have the opportunity to take classes that are major specific and that you will do well in. It also suggests that you learn to read and write well; one should master those skills before entering the university. Lastly, the article suggested that you voice your opinion. If you don't voice your opinion in college you will never know how in the real world.
    "The Hunt for a Good Teacher” This article suggests that when you get to college you meet with your advisor and find out who the good professors are. College is not just about getting good grades, yet it is there to prepare you for the rest of your life. With this being said, finding a good teacher is detrimental to your success in college. Lastly, this article suggests every student take a composition course even if it is not required because it will help you throughout your college career, as well as the rest of one’s life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Don't Alienate Your Professor- In college you should make a conscious effort of forming some type of relationship with yout teacher. Students should try and stay positive even if the class is hard. I agree with what this article said because what you put into the class is what you get out.
    2. Play Politics- In this articles it talks abouit not being afraid to express your ideas. I think that this is very important because having your own ideas is what makes you different and unique. Also, they talked about having other people review your work. I think that this very beneficial because everyone makes mistakes that they don't even notice and they way things sound in the writer's head doesn't always make sense on paper.
    3. Going the wrong way- This was the last article I read and it is very true. College does not only prepare you for a job but it also prepares you for the rest of your life in the real world. I think have a good personality and other things that are not taught to you in a textbook are extremely important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1) Go the Wrong Way- This article reveals an important message that says to not always take classes that prepare you for your job after college, but instead, take classes that prepare you for life in general. For example, you should take classes such as a humanities class because that will prepare you with tips to live your life. Taking classes that are only specific for your future career can leave you narrow-minded and only prepare you for your career, not your job.
    2) Don’t Alienate Your Professor- This article basically says to make sure you get the full potential out of each class you take and always respect the professor. Make sure you are in a class that you need and don’t waste time in a class that won’t end up being beneficial to you. Also, make sure you look like you are engaged in the class and are participating during the class. Don’t make the professor feel like he or she is boring you by looking at the clock and sighing, but instead, nod your head and ask/answer questions.
    3) Play Politics- This Article also says that you should be in a class that you enjoy and find beneficial to you. Also, learn to become a better writer. Most college students who come in during their freshman year, still don’t know how to write at an academic level. Reading is an important tool in learning how to write well, so one who doesn’t read, does not have the full vocabulary of a sophisticated writer. One other piece of advice this article gives is to surround yourself with other intellectual people as it will aid in your learning process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1) Don't Alienate Your Professor- This article is a quirky way to help freshman. It states that you should take a class that you want to, which makes sense because you will do better at something if you like or wanted to learn more about it. It lists a lot mistakes incoming freshman have made such as looking at one's watch constantly or yawning more than three times in a lecture. It essentially states that a student should be involved, attentive, and respectful.
    2) Play Politics- Is an article in which it expresses that a student should not be afraid to take every opportunity available. That as a student one become a better writer and read. Then go out their and find people who can and will help you. This article has great advice that any and every incoming freshman should take strongly.
    3) Change Course- Is an article that shares the idea that no one really knows what college is like or will be, until they experience it themselves. That you may think you want to major in one area, but find that in reality it is not true at all. The article says you shouldn't be afraid to go another route and explore the possibilities. I for one agree that change isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don’t Alienate Your Professor:
    I think that the writer of the article makes good points. To make sure that when you are in the class, be in the class. I think that it's funny how she knows that not all the people in the class actually want to be there, but she gives pointers to how it can seem like you want to be there.
    Go the Wrong Way:
    I think that this writer is smart because she says that when taking your classes you shouldn't be just thinking about how it will help you in your job, but to take classes that will help you in life, not just in your future occupation.
    Play Politics:
    I think that this writer makes a very good point, if you read a lot it will be easier for you to write. I also agree with when you have to write about something write about something that you like or enjoy. When you write about something that you are interested in, that will make the reader interested as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Don't Alienate Your Professor- The article in whole describes how it is important to be an active student in a college class. You have to make use of all the time you have in class. It is also important to be a student just like high school. Get to know the teacher. Ask them questions like: When is the test? Does Grammar Count? Do we have to read the whole chapter? It is also important is to look like you are engaged in class, do not look bored. Laugh at some of the teachers jokes become more of a teachers pet. Respect the people around you and enjoy the class you are taking.
    2. Play Politics- Have a passion for learning. It is important to pick subjects to write essays on things that you have interest in. Do not be afraid to dig deep and scratch the surface in your writing. It is also important that you write well. Make sure you proofread work. If you are unsure have a friend help you in the writing process. It is important to read more books to become a better student. Also use your classmates help. You should use them for their strengths and they should use you for yours. Lastly the article stresses that as a college student you have to take risks in your studies and put yourself out there.
    3. Go the Wrong Way- This article shows that school is more than just a job. College is a time of your life that you can think of more than just a job but your whole life. Humanity courses are important because they help you use your imagination and without your imagination you will be no where in life. College is the time in your life that you can finally put yourself out there. It stresses not to think of life as a schedule but to thing of it as more than that. Keep your options open and the right future will find you. This is your chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 1) The first article I read was entitled "Play Politics" this piece described how students should study the things they like the most. If you focus solely on one topic, you are more likely to enjoy what you are doing and be more interested in the subject. The article also provides good tips on addressing preparedness for college. It describes how you should learn how to write properly, and make sure you read frequently. You must take initiative, and start to express yourself in order to be a good writer.
    2) The second article I read was "Don't Alienate Your Professor", this article speaks about proper edict in a class room environment. It teaches the student that you must pay attention in class, and get as much out of the course as possible. Do not waste your time, or the time of others, because you are placed in that class for your own benefit. If you do not pay attention, or slack off, you are only hurting yourself. It is extremely important to respect the professor, and always show interest in what you are being taught.
    3) The final article I read was "Go The Wrong Way". I especially enjoyed reading this article, because it expressed the fact that college courses are not only to prepare you for future jobs, but to give you a clearer insight into the world. Studying subjects can help broaden your imagination, and can cause you to think of things in a different way. They can expand your mind, and are vital to the thought process. In the article, they give the example of a humanities course, although this class may seem insignificant, it can be a key element in making you think more outside the box, expanding your brian, and making it more responsive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the author of "Don't Alienate Your Professor". Many students tend to fall into the peer pressure of being a "cool" student. They won't ask questions because they are afraid of what others think and end up hurting their own education. Students also tend to get lazy because that's what the "cool" students do. They pretend like they want to be anywhere else but in class and act distant to the teacher. If students at least faked that the were interested in the class, they would probably trick themselves into actually being interested in the class and actually do better in school.
    I also agree with the author of "Play Politics". I think that it is very important to write or learn about what you love. If something interests you, it will naturally stick in your brain much easier. The author also states that it is essential for students to practice writing and also read to become more intelligent. I believe that this idea can relate to almost anything. Since we were little, we were taught that practice makes perfect. We were told that if we practiced or free throws everyday, we would eventually be the best at it. So what makes this any different? If we surround ourselves with sophisticated novels and writings, we ourselves will eventually become that intelligent.
    Lastly, I agree with the author of "Go the Wrong Way". The author states that people have a tendency to focus on certain college classes (the classes involving their major) and only focus on those. They don't give their minds a chance to explore the other fields that they can study. Most kids have no idea what they want to do for the rest of their lives, and college gives you the perfect opportunity to discover what you want to do. It's not fair for a kid to have to decide what the rest of his or her life will consist of at the age of 18. Kids need to give themselves the opportunity to discover what fields of study they do and don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. Don't Alienate Your Professor- the article talks about being attentive in class. Staying positive and not thinking about when it's time to leave will help you start to enjoy the class and learn. Using these tips will help a student want to be there even if they don't.
    2. Play Politics - Write about things that you have an interest in then you won't mind
    writing as much. Taking writing classes will enhance your writing. Reading is also key to becoming a good writer. Becoming interactive with other students can help you. Using each others strengths will help you learn more.
    3. Go the Wrong Way- College is a time to try new things. Doing other things that you think might interest you is part of college. Exploring your interests is okay even if you end up not liking them or pursuing them. Put yourself out there and keep an open mind. It's okay to do something wrong because you will never know if something is right for you bless you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. Don't Alienate your professor. This article was designed for incoming freshmen who do not know their professor. This article gave tips about how to get on the teachers good side. It also discussed some very important do's and dont's in a college class, like don't drum on your table while the professor is teaching. The article had some quirky tips like, laugh at your professors jokes, even if they might not be funny.
    2. Go the wrong way. This article was eye opening. This article discussed how you should not be focused on only one area. Although it is important to focus on your future and your career it is also important not to lose your ability to think for yourself. College may be one of the only times a person can explore many different fields of education. This is a priceless opportunity and it's your job to expand your thinking and become more of a critical thinker. You do not want to be a narrow minded individual later in life.
    3. Change course. This article discusses how college classes and courses that you are interested in one day may change the next. You never know what you're going to get when you arrive at your first college class. You may want to major in biology and then realize you love mathematics. This article relates to me because I am not entirely sure what I want to major in but I have an idea, but that may change completely once I get to college.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The first article I read was "Don't Alienate Your Professor". This article was about the do's and don'ts of your first classes you take as a freshman in college. For example, the author suggests the look interested and not to check your watch too much. I agreed with the advice given by the author for the most part, but I did not like how one of the suggestions was basically to kiss up to the teacher. I know that it may be necessary with college professors, but I wouldn't suggest it because sometimes your professor will not like teachers pets.
    The next article I read was "Play Politics". This article was about ways to succeed especially in your writing. Something I agreed with was the suggestion to write about a topic your are interested in because it will make writing the essay easier and less stressful. The article goes on to explain the importance of reading, and expressing your intellectual opinions.
    The last article I read was "Go The Wrong Way". This article talks about the importance of diversity of college courses and how they can have a positive affect on you. Those classes may be the one time in your life where you can become cultured in other topics than the one you are majoring in. I completely agree with this article because as a student, you should have the opportunity to experience different courses before you go into a life comprised of one specialized subject.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't Alienate Your Professor- The article states that a student should try to get as much out of the class possible. Wasting time in a class is time consuming and non-beneficial to the student. It also talks about proper edict in a college classroom. Students should pay attention and show respect to their professors to get the most out of their college experience.
    Play Politics- it is essential to write and learn about things you are passionate about. If a student chooses a particular topic that interests them, their writing will have a natural flow about it because it is easier to write about your thoughts, rather than someone else’s. To become a good writer, and a good student, one must pose questions and think for themselves. Once they are out in the “real world”, no teacher can put their thoughts on a platter for them.
    Go the Wrong Way- the article explains that courses a student takes in college should not only be for their specific field of work after school, but also for life in general outside of work. Have a broader spectrum of the world by taking different courses, and be well versed in other areas than the one you decided.

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Don't Alienate Your Professor"- I enjoyed this short article. It had a sense of humor that I like to read about. This article stated some of the obvious techniques to apply in college, but also included some good ideas to think of that I never really did like not checking my watch frequently which I tend to do. Believe it or not, I bet I will remember this short article next year and it will assist me.

    "Play Politics"- This article hit a spot of my resumé that isn't so great... reading. It's not that I am a bad reader, I just do not enjoy it. Although I would love to improve my writing and will work at it, I highly doubt I'll be able to follow the articles instructions and do it by reading. I am not a reader and nor will I be anytime soon. It's just who I am.

    "My Crush on DNA"- This is definitely my favorite article that I've read. I can completely relate. I have really come to enjoy, over the past few years, the study of astronomy and the physics behind it, astrophysics. This small science topic interests me like nothing else. I will definitely study this in college, even just for mere fun and look forward to gaining knowledge and pursuing a passion of mine like the author did in the study of DNA.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Play Politics: I think that it is very important to write about something that you are interested in because then it will be easy and create a stronger essay. You should be able to express you own thoughts and be yourself and let no one else tell you what you "should" be writing about.
    Don't Alienate Your Professor- In each class I believe that you should try and learn to your best capability. I think that it is important to try to create a student to teacher relationship. This can help you to get a better understanding. Take advantage of the learning, after all, you are there for a reason. In my classes I will try to participate and learn as much as possible.
    Go the Wrong Way- This was very insightful information to learn. I learned how important it is to not just study one particular subject and to broaden your knowledge. College gives students the opportunity to discover different fields and subjects that you might be interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't Alienate Your Professor: I thought the advice in this article was kind of obvious because what it said to do was be nice to the professor and pay attention in class. If you are going to pay for college education, the least you can do is pay attention and treat the professor right.
    Play Politics: Reading and writing are very important skills to have. To improve your writing you have to read a lot to learn the techniques that successful writers use. It is also important to write about topics you are interested in because otherwise your writing will seem boring.
    Get Lost. In Books: Reading books by authors who lived in different times and wrote in a different style than we are use to let us learn new styles and a new understanding of popular stories. Rereading stories by Shakespere, for example, let us see new parts to the stories that we might not have seen the first time through.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Don’t Alienate Your Professors by Carol Berkin
    I agree with the author because it is important to pay attention and to respect your professors. It may be a boring class, but you will learn best if you pay attention and stay involved in the class. Also, I think some of the do’s and don’ts are really true because I see them every day in class and it’s cool to see someone actually point out what people shouldn’t and should do while in class.

    Play Politics by Garry Wills
    I believe that it is important to express your opinion and invest supporting ideas that really interest you. I find it interesting that Jimmy Carter was really proud of his daughter because she got arrested at a rally. I think he should be proud of her because she is fighting for what she believes in and like he said, “If you young people cannot express your conscience now, when will you?” It is important to focus in on your beliefs and read into topics , so you will succeed in them.

    Go the Wrong Way by Martha Bassaum
    It is true that people get a narrower perspective when they enter the real world because they only focus on one thing and that is a job. When they are in high school or college classes, they aren’t focusing on a job; they are just focusing on getting general knowledge to you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. "Play Politics"- I enjoyed reading this article. I feel it has good instructions that would actually help you to become a better writer if you followed them. The one thing I have to do to become a better writer according to this article is become a more active reader. I do not read much nor do I enjoy it but if i did i would excel in writing.

    "Don't Alienate Your Professor"- This is a very informative article that gives you tips on different ways to survive class freshman year of college. The things in the "don't do" section I realize I currently do in high school. After reading this I am going to try the tips to see if they work.

    "My Crush on DNA"- This is a good article because it encourages you to find something your passionate about and love it. The author wants you to explore your studies at college and try to come across something you love. Do not just major in something that you think looks good


    ReplyDelete
  19. “An Argument worth Having”
    This article was a little hard to understand but what I got out of it was not to worry about every little detail. It’s not always important to know everything. It recommends commenting in your head and summarizing for yourself what is going on. Also I think it says don’t be afraid to make an argument, even if its contrary to popular belief…State what you want and make sure you can back it up with evidence.
    “Off-Campus Life”
    I really enjoyed this article. It recommended to read a newspaper at least once a day. I really wish I had the time and energy to do that but I don’t. Not only does reading a newspaper broaden one’s view of the world, it also allows for some additional knowledge not necessarily factual. As the article says, observe the intro or conclusion and try to pick up some tips from it. Also get to know your teacher outside of the classroom and be kind to all faculty and staff.

    “Change course”
    Basically, there’s no way you can figure out exactly how your college life is going to play out. I can totally see this as being true because even in high school I’m changing my mind as to what classes I want to take and which courses are interesting to me. Going into college I feel like I know what I want but on the other hand, I know that could change at any moment. Hopefully, I will just enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The first opinion I read was “Don’t Alienate your Professor”. I think this helped me realize what it takes to be successful as a college student. I now understand what to do and what not to do during class. I like to think I look attentive in class rather than bored and impatient while a professor is talking. The only problem I would have would be asking questions at any point during the year because I don’t like talking in front of a class, however, I know I have to work on this in order to get the most out of my college experience.
    The second opinion I read was “Go the Wrong Way”. I agree with this opinion. I think certain people take life too seriously and always spend their time in college thinking about a job and what's next in their lives. These people need to take time to enjoy life as it goes by because in the end, memories and happiness are most important in life.
    The third opinion I read was “Change Course”. I found it interesting that it mentioned how college freshmen realize college isn’t what anyone expects. I am now wondering what colleges will actually being like, because what I am expecting is most likely false. I agree with the fact that the most important part of the college experience is everything a student takes away from it, including friends, memories, degrees and relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 1. "The hunt for a good teacher". In this article it suggests to all students that they should meet with their advisor or get the opinions of older students on which professors are the best. In order to excel at college level you will need more than good grades rather someone to help prepare you for the future. It also states that all students should take a composition course because it can help you throughout your college career.
    2. "Go the wrong way". The second article I read talks about how many think college classes are made to help prepare you for a job. It shows that you shouldn't focus on just one subject, instead expand your knowledge and learn about something different. By having more experiences in a variety of fields it will help you become a well rounded student.
    3. "Play politics". The last article I read explains how students should write essays in which inspire them or on a topic in which they have knowledge on. This will help the essay become more alive because the student will be more enthusiastic about writing it. It also states that by reading more and learning how to write properly can enhance your writing skills. Lastly, the article says that you should know how to voice your opinion and stand up for what you want. By taking control in your writing you will be able to stand stronger in the real world.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 1) Off-Campus Life- I think that this article is extremely relevant to today's world. Newspapers, whether they are online or in paper, are important to read because of how connected the world is today. In addition, getting to know the staff of the college you go to is also important. This is because they are the people who keep campus life running smoothly and deserve gratitude from those whom they serve.
    2) Play Politics- I think that reading is an important part of leaning how to write well. Reading can also be enjoyable as well as helpful academically. Writing about stuff that interests you also makes writing easier and even sometimes enjoyable.
    3) An Argument Worth Having- I think that summarizing the primary idea to prove your thesis is the most important part of writing. This is why it can also be the hardest because it may involve imputing your own opinions. It also has to create and prove your side of an argument.

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Dont Alienate Your Professor"- In this article you are given many helpful tips to be successful during your freshman year of college. A major tip is to make sure that you are in the right class you are taking so that you and your professor are not wasting either ones time. Other tips are given as ways to be more efficient while in class. "Play Politics"-This article gives you very good tips that actually can be very useful in becoming a better writer. Reading plays a major role in strengthening your writing ability. You must be an active reader in order for your writing to improve. "Go The Wrong Way"- After reading this article you are informed to be open minded and prepare yourself for later in life. Finding out what you want to major in and work for the rest of your life should be certain by having options and being open minded. You must take advantage of the classes your college has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Don't Alienate Your Professor":
    This particular article outlines the general 'do's and don'ts' of freshman year in college. In general, I tend to strongly agree with the points made by this author. For instance, the author argues that students shouldn't check the watches too frequently. Imagining how a teacher would feel if he saw this led me to believe that checking your watch, in all honesty, is a sort of disrespect. The author stresses that it is crucial to make the most out of your class time in order to get the most out of college. In my opinion, by paying attention to and respecting professors, all students have the ability to apply themselves and learn.

    "Play Politics":
    This article was also quite fascinating as it details ways to succeed in terms of college writing. I think that the points made by the author actually make a lot of sense. For example, the author outlines how writing about something that interests you leads to better writing. I'd agree with this because, naturally, if you are writing about something you're passionate about, your words will flow and, thus, the writing will be of higher quality. In my opinion, writing about what you actually believe, even if it isn't the perceived 'answer the teacher wants to hear,' will lead to a significantly less stressful writing experience.

    "Go the Wrong Way":
    In "Go the Wrong Way," the author discusses the importance of diversifying one's college course-load. Essentially, taking different types of courses helps you prepare for life after college as you would be, ideally, literate in a wide variety of topics. I think that becoming more diverse and, thus, more culturally aware could only have positive effects.

    ReplyDelete
  25. The first article I read was "Don't Alienate your Professor". I agree with the author that it’s important to show that you care about a class and to be an active part of that class. It's important to ask questions and know your professor to make the class easier. One shouldn't sit in the back of the class and pretend like they care about what the professor is saying. It makes the class less interesting and fulfilling. I also read “Play Politics”. I agree with the author that you have to seek classes that fit your strengths and that you care about. It also talks about college students not having great fundamental skills in reading and writing. It’s important to exercise ones reading and writing skills by practicing on a daily basis. The more experience one has reading and writing, the better their writing skills will become. The last article I read was “Go the Wrong Way”. College is very important in building life skills and the author believes the same. One gains great experiences through college by living by themselves for the first time, building strong relationships with people, and learning responsibilities that are vital for the real world. Gaining a path for a career is important in college, but learning about living in the real world might be more important.

    ReplyDelete
  26. “Don’t Alienate Your Professor”

    If you show interest in the class and the professor then they are more likely to like you. Having a good relationship with a college professor will help you go further in life because all of them have experience and connections in the real world.

    “Play Politics”

    To be happy with a major, you need to pick something that you find interesting so you can really connect with the topic. I agree with this because if you love something then you’d want to learn more about it. The more you surround yourself with intelligent people and eloquent writing then you will start to pick up on their habits and add it to your own lifestyle.

    “Go the Wrong Way”
    I agree with this article because you will be stuck in one job for the rest of your life so you have to seize the opportunities in college to take classes you wouldn't normally take. Not everything in college has to be related to your career. Experience everything so you know thats the path you want to take.

    ReplyDelete
  27. 1)“going the wrong way”- The article is something that has actually been on my mind and has been on the mind of other future college applicants, whatever courses you decide to take or whatever you decide to major in, you are not just doing it for a future job outside of college but it is going to influence your life as a whole.
    2)“Change Course”- This article can somewhat relate to the previous one. Kids always wonder what they are supposed to do if they don’t like there major after all. But there is something you can do. Colleges allow students to change their major if they want. You have to find something you enjoy and want to do for the rest of your life so your enjoy life better. Don’t major in something boring that you thought you were stuck in.
    3)“Don’t Alienate Your Professor”- This article is important to freshman in college. Just because you may not like your teacher doesn’t mean that you can’t act like you do. If a teacher sees you are interested and that you care, he or she will care more about you and your grade in their class. If a teacher sees you constantly checking your watch or looking miserable during class, he will care less and show the same respect towards you that you are showing him or her.

    ReplyDelete
  28. 1) In the article, “Don’t Alienate Your Professor” the author gives helpful tips to help first year college students make their way smoothly through their classes. This article helped inform me about little things that may not seem like they are a big deal, but mean something in the end. One word of advice that I took in was to make sure you are in the right classes. Even though this seems like common sense, you may feel confused and not want to step out of line at the beginning of college and not speak up for yourself. It is just wasting your time and your professor’s as well.

    2) The second article I read was, “Change Course”. In this article i learned that college isn’t necessarily how you always expect it to be. You may think you are interested in a certain class or major and end up having no interest in it at all. The author did include that even though he didn’t wind up following the path he thought he was going to follow, he did leave with great memories and things that will help him for the rest of his life.
    3) The last article I read was “Go The Wrong Way.” In this article, the author discussed how certain courses such as humanities courses challenge your mind and stretch your imagination. I feel this is an important feature/ quality to have and it will help you later on in life. You need resources to prevent your mind from becoming focused only in one way instead of looking at many options.

    ReplyDelete
  29. 1) Going the Wrong Way- I completely agree with this article. I feel that in college you are supposed to learn as much as possible. I do not feel that only taking classes for the job you want is the right thing to do. I believe that by taking other classes not related to your job it not only makes you a better more educated person but also makes you better prepared for the real world.
    2) Change Course- College will not be what you expect. Although you may expect to get a 4.0 gpa and take every class you want it will be very difficult. College is about learning skills necessary to get a job, learning how to manage your time, becoming a better person, and making memories. I feel that the best way to enjoy college is to go with flow.
    3) “don’t alienate your professor”- This articles was about earning mutual respect with your professor. By truly enjoying the class and not constantly wanting to leave the class will be much more enjoyable. I believe by respecting your professor it adds to your college experience

    ReplyDelete
  30. 1) my crush on dna- a girl was majoring in one thing until she heard a lecture that she really liked and she changed her major, it shows that you should explore all options in college and do what you love
    2) going the wrong way- this article shows that in college you should have a broad spectrum of things on your class sheet so that you can get a feel of where you are going to go
    3)Goint the wrong way- this article shows you that the way you feel could be the best for you isnt always the right way. It explains how college classes arent just for prepping you for your job they are for exploring the whole feild of work you are going in to

    ReplyDelete
  31. 1. "Don't alienate your professor"- This article says that you have to earn the respect of your teachers in college. If you show that you care they will show you that they care.
    2. "Play Politics"- This article spoke about how you have to enjoy your major. If you find you major interesting than you will do better and stay intersted in class.
    3." Go the wrong way"- I agree with this article. I feel that because you will probably be stuck with one job for the rest of your life you should try and do somethings that are out of your element.

    ReplyDelete
  32. 1) Change Course- This article explains how even though Steven Weinberg was excited to learn, and be educated, sometimes everything doesn't fall into place. Though he couldn't take the classes he wished to take, he took the classes he needed, and ended up learning what he needed to and more.
    2) An Argument Worth Having- In this article, it basically says to mindful during college. Just because you think you know something, doesn't necessarily make you smart unless you have the tools to use what you have learned.
    3) Don't Alienate Your Professor- I agree with this article that tells you to be fully aware of your professor and what he is teaching. You shouldn't care what others think, and if you have any questions or are confused don't be afraid to ask your professor.

    ReplyDelete
  33. College Advice From People Who Have Been There Awhile

    The Hunt for a Good Teacher
    Effective ways to find out who good teachers are to; ask a counselor, search the internet, also refer to the teacher-evaluation guides available at most colleges. It is beneficial to take a composition course in order to improve your writing skills.

    Don’t Alienate Your Professor
    It is crutial to attend the classes you signed up to take also, put time into picking classes. Do not talk to your teacher about a topic that isn’t relevant to the subject. Also it is important to; be respectful while the teacher is lecturing, not to check the time more than twice during the hour of class, also show and participate to express a look of genuine interest in the lecture.

    Off-Campus Life
    It is important to stay connected to the real world. Try to read a good newspaper every day at bedtime or during breakfast. Newspapers will be your connection to the world at large. Newspapers will also help you in the classroom. Another way to stay connected with the outside world is to get to know your teachers outside of class. Engage them, possibly on the way out of the class, ask them about other topics other than coursework.

    ReplyDelete
  34. The first article I read was "Don't Alienate Your Professor". This article was about the do's and don'ts of college classes. They're all relatively basic and represent my pet peeves that even some people do it high school. I hope college students take this advice because I know I will be following these guidelines. It says to pay attention, not to act bored, and really just look alive. The second article I read was "Play Politics". It stated that you should pick courses that you will have enthusiasm and knowledge towards. Don't just pick random ones. It also said that students should learn to write well. You can do this by reading books or simply reading to a friend. The third article I read was "Go the Wrong Way". I agree with this article because college isn't just about specializing in a career. It is meant to teach you about different subjects that can let your mind explore different ideas. Even if it's not what you want to do for a career, I think you should pay attention to all classes because it can expand your way of thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  35. 1) Don't Alienate Your Professor- This article is important for college freshmen. It says to always make sure you are in the right class. Also tells you the dos and don'ts of being in class. Just because you don't like a class you are doesn't give you the right to be rude and show the teacher that you don't want to be there. Try your best to be engaged in the lesson being taught.
    2) The Hunt for a Good Teacher- Talking to other students and learning their opinions of the teacher can benefit you. Finding out which teachers are good or bad will enable you to choose the classes with the better teachers, which will benefit you while learning in their classes.
    3) Go the Wrong Way- This article talks about how college prepares you for life and you should be thinking more about your future. Even in classes you don't think are as important, will benefit you because they will give you an extra challenges which will help broaden your mind and benefit you in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  36. 1. Don't Alienate Your Professor
    This author makes a good point that when you take a class make sure you are present in it. This doesn't mean just by showing up make sure that you are active in conversations. Its also important you don't do the little things that drive professors crazy by either looking at you watch to frequently or glancing around to find the clock.
    2. Going the Wrong Way
    I feel that when a student goes to college he or she is going to study what they want to do when they are an adult. I believe it is important to not just take the classes you need too but also ones that seem less important because you never know if the day will come when they may be useful. College is all about gaining knowledge to learn how to live and be successful on your own so the more classes that you can learn from the better off you are.
    3. Off Campus Life
    It is very important that you keep in touch with the outside world while in college and aren't just worrying about school. You should try and keep in touch with old high school friends and family to maybe release some stress. Its also important to pick up a newspaper or watch the news here and there so you know whats going on.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.