We will do this as a Do Now Thursday
Writing, Little "w" and Big "W"
In an NCTE (National Council of Teacher's of English) blog, the following was stated:
"Many of us think of writing in two ways. One we spell with a little "w" -- it's the writing such as notes to ourselves, photos at our niece's wedding, text messaging with our friends, and maybe even reports for work. The other we spell with a capital "W" -- it's the writing that we do when we have an assignment in school or when we're feeling creative. But writing, whether big "W" or little "w," is integral to our lives in the 21st century and many, many people, young and old, are writing every day."
What do you think are the qualities of good writing? That is, what qualities should you focus on improving in Writing for College this semester in order to make your capital "W" writing "good"?
"Many of us think of writing in two ways. One we spell with a little "w" -- it's the writing such as notes to ourselves, photos at our niece's wedding, text messaging with our friends, and maybe even reports for work. The other we spell with a capital "W" -- it's the writing that we do when we have an assignment in school or when we're feeling creative. But writing, whether big "W" or little "w," is integral to our lives in the 21st century and many, many people, young and old, are writing every day."
What do you think are the qualities of good writing? That is, what qualities should you focus on improving in Writing for College this semester in order to make your capital "W" writing "good"?
I think the qualities of good writing includes good grammar and the ability to convey ones idea easily to the reader. Spelling and coherence in the passage are also essential to a good piece of writing. I must work diligently in this class to improve on these aspects of my writing. Specifically, I need to focus on my grammar and making my writing flow. I am able to get my point across but it doesn't flow that well. I need to improve this to make my writing the best it can be.
ReplyDeleteGreat! We will work on this.
DeleteSome qualities of good writing is proper grammar, good sentence structure and a well developed idea. I need to work on fully developing an idea and staying with that idea the entire essay. I have to work on my grammar so my essay can flow. I tend to not come full circle with my idea or stray away from my thesis. I must try to fix all of these important techniques in order to improve my writing.
ReplyDeleteI think that some qualities of good writing are how clear and concise your sentences are, as well as how structured your piece is. I think that good writing can be understood without being too simple. I think that writing concise sentences is something that I should work on, and I hope ti improve this about my writing. I also think that my pieces could be more structured and that I probably don't always stay on topic.
ReplyDeleteThe qualities of good writing are based on structure, details, and grammar. The structure of any writing composition is important to the overall layout of the piece. Details, along with evidence to support those details, are the bulk of your work and help relay your theme. Finally grammar allows your work to be correct, professional and easily read. I need to work on my grammar, which will allow my writing to be more clear and more on a "college level".
ReplyDeleteI think the qualities of good writing are correct grammer and spelling, conciseness, and structure. To make my capital writing better this semester I want to improve my grammer and idea expression. I also want to improve my vocabulary to make my writing less bland. I think that Writing for College can help me with all of these qualities to improve my writing.
ReplyDeleteOne of the qualities of good writing is to know your audience. In regards to the little “w” and the big “W” one must be aware of who they are writing to. The capital "W" implies that the audience is formal, while the lower case "w" shows that the is informal, such as a note to ones self. Another quality of a good writer is having proper grammar, and knowing when to capitalize the "w". In order to make my capital "W" good, I know I must improve on my grammer, and the coherence of my work.
ReplyDeleteThere are many qualities of good writing. Good writing takes imagination, form, and grammar. To improve in Writing for College it will take determination and creativity. I believe that those are the key qualities in writing any kind of essay. Appropriate language should be used with no abbreviations. Writing should be as professional as possible. It is important to be unique because it helps one person stand out from another. This semester I will try to improve my "W" to make it "good" by using these qualities.
ReplyDeleteQualitites of good writing consit of, but are not limited to: a good vocabulary, proper grammar, a strong tone of writing and correct pronunciation. In order to improve my writing for this class I need to focus on expanding my vocabulary, and making sure my grammar is always correct. With an expanded vocabulary my writing would be less redundant and be more interesting to read. Proper pronunciation will allow my writing to flow and be more clear.
ReplyDeleteIn order to be a good writer, one must embody a few essential qualities. First of all, it is important for any good writer to be organized. This impies the ability stay on topic and keep all information relevant. In addition, it is crucial for a great writer to have a powerful voice. While this skill is hard to teach, it substantially betters one's writing by making it flow much more smoothly. Another big part of college writing is grammar. If grammatical mistakes are littered throughout one's paper, it is much harder to take seriously. In my opinion, these three aspects of "W" writing are what I need to focus on improving because they are, in general, the hardest to master.
ReplyDeleteI think there are many important qualities of good writing. A writer focusing on good "W" writing should be able to express their opinions through detail and appropriate sentence structure. They should use proper grammar and language in their writing as well. When writing an assignment in school, it is important for those who are writing to make sure they know their audience. When writing a "w" piece, it can be less formal, but writing a "W" piece, the writing must be appropriate for the assignment given.
ReplyDeleteOne of the qualities that will help improve your writing is your grammar. By improving your grammar, the writing will flow and not have any awkward breaks. Grammar is a very big part of the essay and without it, the reader may not understand what you are trying to say. Another part that a writer should improve on is thfocusing on the main topic. Often the writer tends to go off topic and lose focus of the main point they are trying to prove. It will help the reader to understand the essay better and to follow the points of the whole essay.
ReplyDeleteI think the qualities of good writing is the usage of proper fundamental concepts as well as one's grammar and punctuation. Most should focus on these qualities because many have the habit of writing as if they were texting or emailing their friends. However, I believe that I should focus on my grammar because it is my weakest area. If I can improve my grammar I know that my college writing will improve as well.
ReplyDeleteIn Writing for College this semester we should be using many things to make our writing more unique compared to other students. Not only does our writing have to be perfect in terms of grammar and spelling so as to be taken seriously by professors, but also stand out from the rest of the crowd in terms creativity. Our special characteristics that we present in our lives everyday are what we have to express on the page. The very thing that makes you different from the person next to you and how you think of yourself are the things that are going to make you strive during your college essay. As we go through class everyday we should be vigilant, focused, and thoughtful while we write (even though we're seniors) so that we are fully prepared to write for our college assignments.
ReplyDeleteThe qualities of good writing is correct grammar and flow throughout the entire piece of writing. It seems people tend to write grammatically incorrect when writing to themselves or to a family member. People try to write grammatically correct when they are writing for school, but in other situations students don't care about grammar. Grammar is the main part of writing that many students should focus on improving in college. It's not just grammar, but also choice of words and spelling that students tend to let slip when writing outside of school. Students write different ways in different situation.
ReplyDeleteI believe there are many important aspects that go into good capital "W" writing. Sentences must flow throughout the writing and it is important that they don't switch topics mid-sentence. Another important thing to include in your writing is vocabulary. It becomes boring when you constantly use the same words in the essay so it is important to use different words. It makes you sound more intelligent as well. Those are just a few aspects that you can add to make your writing better.
ReplyDeleteI think the qualities of good writing varies. Details play a very big part in writing. They make your writing come alive. Good writing also consists of proper punctuation use. Nobody wants to read a strong, detailed paper with a ton of random commas everywhere, it throws off the writing. I personally think I need to improve on my punctuation use in order to make my capital "W" writing good. I always find myself throwing random commas all over the place. Not that I mean to, it's more like a habit; a habit I need to break. Another quality that I should focus on improving would definately be going off tangent. Sometimes when I am writing a story, I'd be talking about one thing and then drift to a completely different subject. I don't intend on doing that, it just happens.
ReplyDeleteTo be a good writer, there are many qualities one must possess. The ability to articulate your thoughts and use proper vocabulary to portray them in a piece of writing is one of these qualities. One must be able to express their opinions and beliefs and be not afraid to share them with others. To make sure the piece of writing is at its full potential, one must use proper grammar and vocabulary. If one works on these qualities, they will improve on their writing skills and become a better writer.
ReplyDeleteThe qualities of good writing in my opinion are the use of proper grammar and punctuation as well as proper sentence structure. Being able to brainstorm and the use of detail in writing are also good qualities of good writing. I need to focus on improving my brainstorming process and the use of detail and gramar in my writing. Once I start to improve these things it will make my capital "W" writing "good".
ReplyDeleteThere are many good qualities to have for excellent writing. First, a good quality would be to use good grammar. Many make gramatical mistakes, a mistake for example would be not putting commas in the right place. As a writer I need to focus on my grammar because I have always struggled with it. Another good quality would be to be able to use educated language. Using a higher level of vocabulary is something I need to focus on this semester. For the reader to agree and be interested in the peice of writing is a strong quality to have, you dont want the reader to be bored. Having my writing more interesting and putting hooks in my writing is another quality of writing I will work on improving.
ReplyDeleteI think qualities of good writing conist of good grammar, sufficent detail, and and being able to express one's ideas. This semester in writing for college, I should focus on improving my grammar skills, and work on being able to write about myself, especially for my college essay. I also need to work on better planning my wiriting, so I do not take time away from my writing time. I could also work on improving my vocabulary, so my writing sounds more professional.
ReplyDeleteI believe that in every writing subject or asignment people should fully believe in what thety are writing about because when they supporet there arguements thier writing will be enhanced. when someone supports what they are wirting about their grammar will most likely be much better than when they are just writing an asignment to get it over with.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThe qualities of a good writer are having good vocabulary and correct grammar.I need to improve my vocabulary the most so I can sound more professional. I have always struggled with vocabulary and I often use the same adjective multiple times instead of giving a variety to make my writing more interesting.I also need to improve my grammar because that is very important in college.
ReplyDeleteI believe the qualities of a good writer include proper english, being able to expand on a topic given to him, and writing with powerful voice so to speak when they write. I need to focus on being able to expand when I have a certain topic assigned. I also have to work on some of my transitions so that my papers, assignments, etc. have a better flow to them so they don't become so choppy. I would also like to work on my sentence structure so my sentences are much stronger.
ReplyDeleteI believe to be a good a writer you have to be a well rounded in your abilities to use grammar correctly, using the right vocabulary, and creating a piece that is concise and clear. I want to focus on my abiltiy to use correct grammar and to create pieces of literature that makes sense. I am at fault of losing track between the words in my head and the words I write. I want to become more profresonal in my writing technique.
ReplyDeleteI believe good qualities of writing are good grammar and being able to get your ideas across clearly. These are important skills that you must obtain to be able to become a successful writer. Throughout this semester, I need to improve both of these skills so I can reach my potential. I need to be able to have consistent grammar in order for my writing to look great. I also need to be able to get my ideas across clearly so my audience can understand what my piece is about.
ReplyDeleteThere are many different types of writing. Some types of writing is looked at with a little "w", which includes more informal writing. While big "W" writing is more formal and creative. Overall, there are many different and important components to good writing. Some of the most important qualities of good writing include grammar, structure, vocabulary, details, creativity, and many more. One component of writing that I want to focus most to all my attention on this year would be creative writing. I struggle with creative writing and tend to be a better writer when I am given a specific topic to write about. Although I may blame it on "writers block", I need to focus on becoming a more creative writer in this semester of writing for college. Along with this, I also want my writing to sound more professional and use a better variation of vocabulary.
ReplyDeletePersonally, I think that good writing consists of thoughts that flow, sophisticated language, and good grammar. Language that flows is not only more enjoyable to read, but sounds more intelligent. I also think that expressing emotion in writing can make a noticeable difference. Dull writing can be hard to get through or even comprehend, yet writing with emotion is fun, fresh and exciting for whoever is writing the piece. Lastly, writing that stays to one specific topic and flows makes a detrimental difference in how the piece is received.
ReplyDelete"Good" writing consistes of different qualities. It should be easy to read, that is the reader shouldn't be confused due to grammatical errors. Writing should be enjoyable to read; varied sentance structure and a diverse vocabulary are critical for this. Another important detail is to know the you're writing to and adjust accordingly. Lastly, one should proof-read his/her writing to double check for mistakes or spelling issues. My goal to make my writing "good" is to read more as to pick up new techniques, and improve my spelling and vocabulary.
ReplyDeleteThere are a lot of good qualities of writing one should have. Proper grammar and the ability to paint a picture in the readers mind are two great qualities one should have when writing. I need to work on my grammar and vocabulary when I write essays and other assignments. I need to make my writing flow better from top to bottom as well.
ReplyDeleteSome qualities of writing include the use of correct grammar, the flow of paragraphs, and a sufficent amount of detail. This semester, I am going to focus on correcting all my grammar and sharpening the things I know as well as become more comfortable with writing essays in which you include books. The incorporating of books in my essays is always a struggle for me.
ReplyDeleteThe qualities of “good” writing are sophisticated detail and correct grammar. I feel that if there are details that can explain your thoughts and feelings thoroughly, it is a good piece of writing. The reason grammar is just as important and details and good diction is because grammar puts the sentences together. Grammar is the reason writing makes sense and has any type of order. This semester, in writing for college, I want to work on making my writing more intellectual. I feel that if I have more formal writing and better word choice, my writing will be ready for college.
ReplyDeleteI think that to be a good writer, your personality has to show through your writing. It is important to add a little bit of your voice into your writing so that it sounds like a human wrote it. That is something that I have to work on this semester. I have to work on not just listing my ideas, but to convey my thoughts as if I were talking to you. There are other important qualities like proper grammer usage and proofreading but, I feel adding personality into my writing will improve it vastly.
ReplyDeleteI think good writing should be enjoyable to read but also gramatically correct. Even in a serious or informational pieces of writing, there should be an aspect of it that makes it interesting,even if its just decriptive writing and detailed. When people speak with bad grammar, it kind of bothers me so when writing has bad grammar,its even worse. I may need to work on being more gramatically correct and keeping my writing interesting.
ReplyDeleteI believe the qualities of a good writer is having the ability to see even the most minor grammer mistakes. That when writing you can focus on using more intelligent language, whether its in writing essays or text messages. I would love to work on my grammer because I feel thats something that I dont only need for college but I will need for the rest of my life. With good grammer not only is your writing better but speaking and verbally communicating will be better.
ReplyDeleteProper grammar,vocabulary, sentence structure, and detail are all qualities of good writing. My goal in Writing for College, is to improve my writing skills by using sophisticated vocabulary, as well as supporting my ideas with more detail. I need to focus on the main idea, rather than getting off topic. Grammar is also important to correct because without it the reader may not understand what you are trying to say. By using all of these techniques, I can become a stronger writer. This will help me apply to colleges, as well as help me in writing skills for the rest of my life.
ReplyDeleteI think good writing should be enjoyable to read but also gramatically correct. Even in informational pieces of writing, there should be an aspect of it that makes it interesting, even if its just descriptive writing or detailed. When people speak with bad grammar, it kind of bothers me so when writing has bad grammar, its even worse. I may need to work on being more gramatically correct and keeping my writing interesting.
ReplyDeleteIn order to be a good writer, your work should be readable even to the people who aren't familiar with your writing. You should have good grammar, and few spelling errors. In writing for college, I want to work on proofreading my work because I usually make silly grammar mistakes, that can be easily avoided if I just read it over.
ReplyDeleteI believe that good writing is done by the use of good detail, structure, and planning. Grammar must also be correct in order to show that, you the writer, knows how to write in the correct form. During this semester I plan on improving my use of vocabulary. A good use of vocabulary words in your writing makes your writing sound better and also more interesting to read.
ReplyDeleteI believe qualities in good writing include proper grammar, good use of vocabulary, structure, detail, and flowing and coherent thoughts. My goal in writing for college is to work on incorporating better vocabulary into my writing. I also want to work on getting my writing to flow better so it is easier to understand, and also getting my point across without writing too much.
ReplyDelete